Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Newspaper

Removing that football (soccer) design was hard, but it's like a final goodbye. To be honest, I'm not a fan of this design as I thought I would be, so I'll probably come up with another one soon. That, and Canada day is coming up and I've started planning out samples for that. I saw this design on google and thought I would try it so if you're a nail art fan, you've probably seen it before.
I still haven't managed to get my hands on a card reader for my camera so I'm still using my webcam to take these rather sucky pictures. Sorry! But you can sort of see that I have a newspaper print on my nails. This was my very first attempt. My mother couldn't understand why I was cutting out pieces of newspaper today, because I never tell her what my design ideas are until after I've painted them onto my nails as a little surprise. I am a free-hand artist, but I thought I'd give this a try.
After a base cot, I applied a grey polish. I don't actually own a grey, and all of my silvers were too metallic, so I mixed my own up using Sally Hansen's "Lavender Cloud" and China Glaze's "Liquid Leather". About 1 part black and 4 or 5 parts white. Perhaps it was because my lamp was close to the polish but I found it dried ver easily, so as to not waste polish I only applied one coat. Once you've applied the grey, make sure it's completely dry. I sat and watched a movie while letting mine dry fully, so I don't just mean 5 minutes. Cut out some scraps of newspaper, the smaller the print, the better, and pour a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol into a dish. Dip the newspaper scrap into the alcohol and press onto your nail. Hold for a few seconds then carefully peal it off. The text transfers to your nail, but the writing is mirrored. This may not work for magazines. You can't use the same section of print twice so cut out a collection. This dries in seconds, so once you've transferred the text to all of your nails, apply a good top coat. Easy!
I hope you like this design better than I do. I'm sorry about the absolutely terrible camera quality! Hopefully I can take better pictures for you.

1 comment:

  1. Cool idea for the hip reporter girl. I hope I get to see the results at church.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for viewing my blog! I will read every comment and answer as many questions as I can, either with my own comment, or in the next blog post.