Monday, May 16, 2011

For good girls, shoelace. For naughty girls, corset!

I'm a bad girl so in my mind, this design is a corset, but when little kids ask, I claim it's a shoelace. I'm wanting to re-do this design on my long nails, but I'm hoping to have a more sophisticated look for Wednesday because my grandmother is visiting and it would be nice to have decent nails for her (that sounds crazy, but you all know I have a nail obsession). For all those people who saw the pictures before reading this, I didn't cut my nails. I created this design long before I let my nails grow (in fact, these pictures are about a year old), but the design looks a lot better on longer nails. However, as proven by my pictures, short nails can hold this design too.
To create this design, paint a couple of coats of base colour (I chose bright red) over a base coat and leave to dry. Then paint the edges black. Next find a white nail pen or dotting tool and place an equal amount of white dots down the centre of the black. The number of white dots varies depending on how long your nail is. Finally, take a striping brush and create black lines that zig-zag down your nail, alternating with the opposing side giving it a lace effect. An alternative is getting a toothpick and dragging the WET black polish from side to side before adding the white dots, but I think doing it the first way looks more realistic. Wait for your design to dry before sealing it with a top coat.

This is one of my favourite designs, and you can experiments with different colours too. Here is what the design looks like on longer nails. More pictures to come once I can get them off my camera.

1 comment:

Thank you for viewing my blog! I will read every comment and answer as many questions as I can, either with my own comment, or in the next blog post.