Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's a me; a Mario!... And Yoshi!

So I said to Mark's daughter that I'd do a picture of Yoshi on my nail. As I started planning out my design on paper, I came up with another idea that I LOVE! I think this has been done before with 3D nail art and decals, but I am yet to find a completely free-hand design of Mario world. For very obvious reasons, I'm not going to explain how I created this design, so if you want to do it yourself, you're just going to have to make it up somehow. I'm cruel like that, but it took a lot of work!
Overall, this too me about an hour to do while watching Ice Age on my laptop and eating a peanut butter and jelly cupcake. This is how I multitask. I hope you can see well enough... I'm not the world's best photographer. I do have a friend who is far better than me and would be very willing to come out and take pictures of my designs for me, but I can't really call him up every time I paint my nails (several times a week). Anyway, on my index finger is Mario himself and a mystery block. On my middle finger I have a cloud and regular block, and on my ring finger is a pre-hit mystery block and a bush (I know it's a weird order, but don't question my insanity). Finally, my pinkie nail has a green tube. These are the nails close up, but the design as a whole looks far better from a distance (not THAT far away, silly).



So I need to clean around my cuticles a bit, but I will. The is all done with nail polish, nothing else, and on my index finger, I made the elementary mistake of not letting the paint dry completely before putting a top coat on, so it smudged slightly. I created all of these designs using thin striping brushes. No pens. I, of course, used a thicker brush for the blue background and base brown for the floor, but everything was striped. Even the dots!!! The same goes with the Yoshi design.

For this Mario design, I used used Sally Hansen's "Brisk Blue" in her Insta-Dry collection for the background, and OPI's "Queen of d'Nile" for the ground, with an unnamed dark brown for te shadows of the bricks and Sally Hansen's Xtreme Wear "Mellow Yellow" from her Hard as Nails line for the highlights. For the bush and pipe, I used Rio's green, Sally Hansen's "Ghoulish Green" from her Ceramics New Lengths line, and ArtDeco's black. For te cloud I used Art Deco's white, Sally's Brisk Blue, and MigiNailArt's sky blue. For the basic bricks I used the same colours as the floor, minus Mellow Yellow. For the mystery block, I used Del Sol's "Sun Kissed" (so this will change to a red in the sun, but oh well) and the unnamed brown. For Mario, I used Sun Kissed, Queen of d'Nile, unnamed brown, and Rio's red.
The angle is strange in this photo, but oh well. I tried. Yoshi is hard! So for this design I used the same Brisk Blue for the background and the outline with Migi's sky blue. I used Rio's green for the body, and ArtDeco's white. I also experimented with Sally Hansen's "Lavender Cloud". The eyes and nostrils are ArtDeco's black, and the tongue and spines are Rio's red. The boots are Nubar's "Neon Pumpkin" and Sally Hansen's "Mellow Yellow". I hope you enjoy these two designs!

2 comments:

  1. That is great! Jasmine says it is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she likes it =) I have other designs I need to do by Friday, and this weekend, but I can't bring myself to remove this design yet.

    And I'm working on the page layout. My next step is to make the text lighter and bigger. Likey?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for viewing my blog! I will read every comment and answer as many questions as I can, either with my own comment, or in the next blog post.