Friday, April 15, 2011

The start of something new!

Stating the blunt obvious, I decided to start a blog about my nail art. 


I'm a fully qualified nail technician (as of May 2010) specializing in artificial gel nail application and nail art. A couple of my friends joke that I introduce my nail obsession the same way every time, but I'm proud that I have qualifications before graduating from university. Like most university students, I don't have a huge amount of moolah to spend on my nails so I have to make do with what I have, which are my own two hands and my collection of polishes and "things". Nail art is quite a feminine interest, and I tend to put people off when I refer to these "things" as weapons. I have what I need (for the most part), and almost all extra cash I find behind the sofa goes towards more nail polishes. 


Time for a confession: I've been a nail biter my whole life. It sounds more serious when I label it by its technical term, onychophagia. A lot of children have this habit, and it took me a little longer to grow out of it. I tried Sally Hansen's "Nail Biter" product, I tried only biting one nail, I even tried taping my fingers. Eventually the biting turned to picking, and my cuticles suffered considerably. Once I received my aesthetics qualifications I knew I needed to do something about this, because I couldn't sit in my salon beautifying my client's nails when my own were very scruffy. I had made promises to my best friend numerous times, and this was my transition from biting to picking. It still wasn't good enough as it's the same problem, but using what little nails I had left rather than my teeth. My best friend would grab my hand and hold it every time he caught me attacking my cuticles, but he isn't there to hold my hand 24/7... more like 24/5.


Not very attractive...


I've never been able to come up with decent things to give up for lent. For several years running, I'd give up "giving things up". This year, I decided to give up picking my cuticles (and nails). I was told that this is a silly thing to give up for lent, and I do agree, but in my defence I accidentally (long story) gave up pepsi on the side-lines. I painted my nails almost daily so I couldn't see any imperfections to pick, and as the polish began to chips, I'd replace it with a new coat. I was determined to end this habit once and for all! To help with my cuticles, I began applying nail oil and hand lotion to my nails, fingers, and hands about 3 times a day. I carried nail oil around with me constantly, applying it whenever I saw my cuticles drying out. I also began drinking a lot more water (as I couldn't have pepsi anymore), and because I an anemic (lack of red blood cells = lack of iron and oxygen in my blood resulting in me passing out a lot) I began taking multi-vitamins daily, making sure they contain biotin. Combining all of these together, my nails have improved a lot!


A little while later, I've ended up with nails SLIGHTLY longer than my usual:
Okay, a lot longer. Nail biting habit kicked? I like to think so! Because I am still in awe that these are my natural nails, I don't want to file them down yet. I'll enjoy them while they last. I shape them (at least I did after this picture was taken), but I really don't want to take too much length off. I'm still giddy that my nails and cuticles look at least half decent. Because my nails are thin and brittle, I layer on strengthener and thickener to the front, free edge, and back of my nails. I'm still routinely applying nail oil and lotion to them, and although I no longer keep them constantly covered with polish, I still paint the tips every week or so. Ever since I was a little girl, I haven't painted a single colour on my nails. I always have some odd design on them. 


For fun I design tattoos for friends, so why not place my ideas on a small canvass like a nail? Everything I do is free-hand. I don't own any Konad stamps because I like to think I don't need them, but I've seen that some of the designs look better when they aren't done free hand. I do, however, have a small collection of decal and gems. I tend to only use these on my clients, rather than myself. I also experiment with water marbling, which I love! It took quite a bit of practice before I managed to come up with designs worth looking at, and I have since then visited high schools to do a couple of demonstrations. I hope to set up a youtube account for nail art tutorials, but my internet is very finicky, and my camera sucks. I take pictures of all my nail designs, but I'm having to use my Mac webcam because of my hand-held camera issues. Hopefully I can get this fixed so I can show you good quality photos of my designs, as well as set up that youtube account. 



To start you off on something a little more interesting than myself and my history, here is a recent snapshot of my nails (they no longer have this design or I would have taken better pictures). This is a purple gradient effect. I used Claire's "Rome" pink as a lighter colour, then an unnamed purple polish I have (absolutely no label), then Sally Hansen's Insta-Dry "Grape Going!", and finally Sally Hansen's Insta-Dry "Uptempo Plum". I applied these polishes (in this order) onto a cosmetic foundation sponge, then dabbed them only the tips of my nails creating a gradient effect. I then, of course, used a base and top coat. I actually think I used 4 different ones to thicken my nails. I'll explain about them when I post a nail treatment post. Good luck with this design if you try it, and I really hope you like this blog, new though it is, and sucky though my camera decides to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for viewing my blog! I will read every comment and answer as many questions as I can, either with my own comment, or in the next blog post.