Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Royal Wedding Challenge

I was challenged by a friend to come up with a nail art design for the royal wedding of Will and Kate on Friday, but the design wasn't allowed to include the British nor English flags (if you're knowledgable enough, you'll know that those are two different things). Because I didn't want to remove the Mario design from my left hand, I created this design on my right hand, and I'm right handed. This was a challenge in itself, because using my left hand is always a challenge while painting my nails, and also taking a photograph of the design once I was finished. I think I managed to complete this challenge, what do you think?
I need to practice writing and drawing with my left hand. I learned how to drum with it, and left handed people a few decades back had to learn how to use their right hands, maybe I can do the opposite. For this design, I used a chevron french tip, then created a silver and gold crown, going over it with black. Finally, I placed a blue jewel at the base of the crown and outlined it with silver like Kate's engagement ring. It is a slightly complicated design, but still elegant. I rarely use real decals and gems on myself, I save them for my clients, but I thought I'd give it a go this time to give it the full effect.
I hope you can see this picture. My right hand was still wet when I drew this out, so again, it's my amazing left-handed work -snicker-. Step one, I created the chevron tip. It's a nice alternative from your basic french with an ordinary smile-line. Step 2, I drew a heart with silver, then gold, then black, and added a cross through it. This is the top of the crown. You might be able to substitute the cross with a gem. Step 3, I added a small, diagonal line of either side of the heart, then brought it down on the other side to the edge of my nail. Sort of like this ^ on either side. Then I drew two more lines in parallel down the centre of the chevron, almost meeting in the middle. It looks sort of like a secondary heart. In step 4, I added a blue gem in the centre of the crown, and drew a silver circle around it.
For the base coat, I used my regular nail maintenance products, but my true base was Sally Hansen's "Extended Wear". For the silver, gold, and black for the crown, and white for the tip, I used ArtDeco. I also used SilkLine's silver. For the blue gem, I used, Revlon's jewel pack, and finally Sally Hansen's "nailgrowth miracle" for a top coat. I hope I passed this challenge, it was fun coming up with the idea! Thanks for the suggestion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for viewing my blog! I will read every comment and answer as many questions as I can, either with my own comment, or in the next blog post.